For our educational readers in the Greater Toronto Area, ActiveHistory.ca is proud to pass along this initiation from the Chinese Canadian National Council Toronto Chapter.
- Are you a teacher or youth worker?
- Do you work with a lot of Asian Students?
- Do your students question their Asian Canadian identity?
- Do you wish you had more resources to discuss Asian Canadian heritage?
- Have you been successful in organizing events and lessons regarding Asian Heritage?
If you answered “yes” to at least one of these questions, come and join an educational forum about teaching and learning Asian Heritage on Thursday May 26th, 2011.
This educational forum is organized by Chinese Canadian National Council Toronto Chapter with funding from Citizenship and Immigration Canada. CCNCTO has been working with Chinese Canadian youth to develop an Asian Heritage Month Activity Toolkit to share with their peers about the Chinese Head Tax and Exclusion Act.
In this educational forum, CCNCTO and youth participants will showcase the newly developed Asian Heritage Month Activity Toolkit and share their experiences in organizing Asian Heritage Month activities in their schools and communities. This will also be an excellent opportunity for teachers and educators to exchange ideas in helping students learn about Asian Canadian Heritage and deal with identity issues.
Topics of the forum include:
- How to help Asian Canadian students gain a sense of belonging in the community?
- Who are the role models for Asian students?
- What does Asian Heritage really mean to young Canadians?
- How to help students of both Asian origin and non-Asian origin develop an understanding of our shared history?
We are looking forward to hearing your experiences!
To register, please send an email with name, school (if applicable), and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please contact 416.596.0833 x7.
5:00 PM – 5:30 PM A Light dinner will be served
5:30 PM – 6:00 PM Student Presentations
6:00 PM – 6:30 PM Break-Away Groups Discussions or Roundtable
6:30 PM – 7:00 PM Report Back and Next Steps