We are looking for short papers on important historical topics that might be of interest to policy makers, the media or the general public. Please contact email@example.com if you are interested in publishing a paper on the site.
ActiveHistory.ca is always looking for short and thoughtful essays that mobilize historical research or provide historical context to pressing issues of the day. Papers are longer than the posts on our group blog and involve a more in-depth editorial review process. Anyone who is actively engaged in historical research is welcome to file a submission. If you have an essay that you think resonates well with our mandate please consider submitting it to our Papers Section.
We accept a wide variety of paper topics and styles. ActiveHistory.ca is a public forum through which historians can disseminate their work to the public. As such we encourage papers written for different purposes. We accept feature-length opinion pieces as well as syntheses of historical research. All papers submitted to us should meet the following criteria:
- Papers must be based in historical or historiographical research.
- Papers should engage today’s pressing issues or otherwise have a clear appeal to a public audience.
- Papers must be between 2,000 and 4,000 words and written clearly, without academic jargon.
Anyone interested in writing a paper is asked to familiarize themselves with the general style and format of our papers. Although we are flexible, we would appreciate our author’s trying to follow these guidelines:
- Papers should have: clear section headings and limited endnotes
- Please include:
- A short list of resources for readers to learn more about your subject. Remember that not all scholarly books and articles are accessible. Do not water down your list, but also please consider issues of accessibility.
- Up to 5 key words from our list of categories that will help website users access your article.
- Only use copyrighted material for which you have permission.
- Provide your name, email address, and institutional affiliation.
It generally takes a few weeks for a submitted paper to appear in final draft. We ask our external reviewers to fill out this form: [hyperlink to external review form]. We ask our reviewers to complete their evaluation within one week of receiving the paper. In order to facilitate the review process we do not ask for extensive feedback. If a paper is accepted, but requires some additional work, the author will work with ActiveHistory.ca’s papers editor in order to meet the reviewer’s suggestions.
Things to remember when writing for ActiveHistory.ca:
- You are writing for a general audience. Avoid technical language and cumbersome sentences.
- Papers dealing with all periods of history are welcome.
- Consider visual presentation. Use bullet points rather than lists and graphs rather than tables.
- Papers should not be excessively descriptive. They should have a clear argument and be anchored in historical context.
- Keep quotations and self-references to a minimum.
- Have fun!
For more information about our papers section or to submit a paper, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.